Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow Testing in NYC
Starting at $149
Get your required annual RPZ Backflow test with us
Request ServiceUse the short form below to request service.
RPZ Backflow Testing in New York City
Backflow testers or reduced pressure zone (RPZ) testers must be verified annually under state law. At the time of installation and once a year, an RPZ must be tested by a certified backflow assembly tester using properly calibrated equipment. With the arrival of warmer weather, it’s a goof time time to schedule your RPZ test to ensure compliance with the Department of Health and State Plumbing Codes.
Your drinking water is pushed by pressure from the city’s water main into your building’s plumbing, and it should only flow in one direction. Water can sometimes flow backwards into city water lines due to pressure changes in pipes, contaminating the public water supply with human waste or chemicals.
Certain properties and businesses in New York State are required by law to install, maintain, and test backflow prevention devices, which prevent contaminated water from flowing back into the main water supply. Failure to do so may result in fines or the loss of your water service.
How it RPZ Backflow testing done?
RPZ testers are used by plumbers, contractors, and building maintenance workers to measure the differential pressure or pressure difference between two points. Backflow prevention devices are used to keep chemicals and pesticides from entering the water system and contaminating it.
Do I need to have my building tested?
It is important to note that only certain properties and businesses are required BY LAW to install a backflow prevention device. The following is a list of properties from the NYC Department of Environmental Protection website that require a backflow prevention device and testing.
- Metal plating, cleaning, processing or fabricating facilities
- Photo-processing facilities
- Laundries and dry cleaners
- Commercial car washes
- Hospitals, Clinics and Laboratories (including veterinary hospitals)
- Medical and Dental Offices
- Funeral Parlors
- Food processing plants and meat / fish packers
- Dye Plants
- Paper processors
- Auto Repair Shops
- Large residential dwellings with water boilers that use rust-inhibitors or other water treatment chemicals, (“treated water boilers”)
- Sewage treatment plants or handling facilities
- Premises with multiple water service lines
- Premises with roof tanks and elevated storage lines
- Slaughterhouse / Live Poultry Processing Facilities
- Ice Manufacturing Facilities
- Printing Facilities
- Premises with large boilers or chemically treated boilers
- Warehouses (with toxic chemical storage)
- Premises with water cooled equipment or chillers
- Premises with Groundwater Wells
- Premises that Reuse or Recycle Water
- Shipyards and Marinas
- Schools and Colleges
- Food Preparation Facilities
- Nursing Homes
- Barber Shops & Beauty Salons
- Properties with in-ground irrigation sprinklers
How much does the testing cost?
RPZ Backflow testing starts at $149. Contact us for an accurate quote.
How frequently are inspections required?
Inspections are required annually.
What is the penalty if I don't comply?
Failure to follow testing guidelines may result in a violation notice (NOV). There is a $500 fine for each device that is not tested.